Friday, April 26, 2013

Only Ten More Weeks


At 29 weeks, Evie was supposedly about the size of a chinese cabbage. I did not write "my little cabbage" in chinese, though that would have been impressive! I went with the french phrase instead, as it is also used as a term of endearment. :) 



In spite of the crazy April weather, I went ahead and got a summery hair cut. So, now I'm ready for summer, right? Well, as I've been warned so often about how miserable I'll feel this summer, I am actually incredibly thankful for the prolonged wintery weather. Everyday beneath 90 degrees is such a blessing! 


The following two shots were taken at complete randomness a few days before my 30th week mark. I was feeling, as I often am, particularly affectionate about that vigorously active little one in my tummy, and loving carrying her around. Lately, I have been making more of a point to stop and cherish her movements (which are, of course, signs of good health), and even talk to her about our excitement for her arrival, about how much her daddy loves her and how wonderful he is... things like that. I also try to sing to her La Mer, a song I've decided she actually really likes. After all, there was that one morning when she stopped her powerful movements just long enough for me to sing the entire song, and then started moving again. :) I love feeling her movements at regular intervals- particularly right after I wake up in the mornings and before I go to sleep at night. I feel like we are developing a rhythm together already- just another way to feel connected.



The only 30 week shot I'm posting is below. It is incredibly difficult to get these one-handed iphone shots in, by the way. So only Evie made the cut this time. :) And yes, you are seeing more navy blue. Why the fetish? I have no idea. I'm feeling summery, patriotic, and maybe nautical these days.


So what is new? My lunchtime appetite has strangely disappeared. I have to force myself to eat during the middle of the day, and I end up feeling far too full after dinner, and then hungry again in the middle of the night. Despite being more active and still not eating a ton of food, my weight gain has been much more rapid for the last 3-4 weeks. I hope it doesn't continue like this for the next ten weeks! That would be a lot of weight gain! Although my stomach is getting bigger, I still don't feel "fat and ugly and uncomfortable" as so many women describe their pregnancies. What a shame that would be! I don't feel like my body is being wrecked or ruined, either. Though, that might come during labor and delivery. ha!

Back aches come and go, necessitating that I alter activities often, from being up on my feet to sitting down, and then back on my feet again. It's very manageable and nothing to complain of. However, I've noticed that I am significantly less friendly toward Micah when my back hurts, so I have to be aware of that and apologize a lot. ;) 

I don't know if it is due to more frequent bursts of energy (hormones? supplements?) or a nesting instinct, which has gloriously allowed me to be much more productive at times. At least 1-2 days a week, I am so exhausted all day long, and incredibly sleepy without being able to nap. But in the last week, there have been a surprising amount of productive days, with the sweet blessing of a sense of motivation that I used to know before my pregnant days began. It feels so incredibly good to want to do things, be able to do them, and have accomplished them fairly easily. It affects my mood so powerfully... I just can't stress enough how good it is. :) Praise God!

A few more things: I love taking walks with Micah in the evening. They are often far too short, due to my discomfort or a lack of time. But it is nice to enjoy the outdoors with him and talk about our day, our epiphanies, and funny stories. We have decided recently to really focus on connecting and enjoying these last several weeks alone together- not at all dreading leaving them behind, but rather to savor each season as it is given to us. We are trying to be more careful about preserving some weekend time together, as well as spending time getting things ready for Evie. A sense of urgency and excitement has overtaken us both as we realized we only have ten more weeks! Of course, for all we know, it could be more like eight or twelve. Regardless, we have much to do. 

Additionally, our Monday nights will be taken up for a while, as we've started our Childbirth Preparedness class together. It's really fun and informative and challenging. Have you ever held a handful of crushed ice in your closed hand, while practicing breathing exercises for a full minute? It is challenging to focus on relaxing and breathing when your hand is going numb and leaking water all over the floor. But I know it is nothing compared to the demands of labor, so I'm thankful for this way to practice.

I have started taking more supplements in preparation for my Group B Strep test coming up. I'm now taking (in addition to pregnancy and raspberry leaf teas, prenatals, and vitamin D) a daily probiotic, greek yoghurt, dark chocolate, and iodine. Okay, so the iodine is actually random. It's for general health, and probably has no benefit for preventing GBS. But the rest could possibly be the difference between passing or failing the test, and therefore mean the difference between Evie needing Penicillin at birth or not. Since I want to go as natural as possible and labor as freely as possible, I'd really like to avoid GBS.

And last but not least, I am spending time editing my novel much more regularly. Is it possible to have it finished and ready to send to an agent by the time Evie arrives? I'm not sure. But I'm just starting to attempt it again, so we'll see how much effort I can put into it in the coming weeks. 

Natasha W.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you liked to write fiction! How neat. I used to write a lot as a teenager, and while I've set it aside for now I still dream of writing some epic masterpiece someday. :-)

    I'd love to hear more about your story, Natasha.

    Love,
    Britt

    ReplyDelete