Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Reading with Greg's Coffee Bar Sumatra Dark Brewed Coffee, and Freshly Baked Cappuccino Muffins

An Excerpt from

Just Do Something:
A Liberating Approach to Finding God's Will
(Or How to Make a Decision Without Dreams, Visions, Fleeces, Impressions, Open Doors, Random Bible Verses, Casting Lots, Liver Shivers, Writing in the Sky, Etc.)
by Kevin DeYoung



"In general, he [God] guides and directs his people by affording them, in answer to prayer, the light of his Holy Spirit, which enables them to understand and to love the Scriptures. The Word of God is not to be used as a lottery; nor is it designed to instruct us by shreds and scraps, which detached from their proper places have no determinative import; but it is to furnish us with just principles, right apprehensions to regulate our judgments and affections, and thereby to influence and direct our conduct.” -John Newton
There's a word for this approach to guidance and the will of God- Wisdom. It's not sexy, and it requires no secret decoder ring. But it is the way to "understand righteousness and justice and equity, every good path.” (Proverbs 2:9)
- Kevin DeYoung

-Natasha W.

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to read that book. I've only read the excerpts available on amazon, and it's been awhile, but I remember disliking one of them, because it seemed to rule out the possibility of the Holy Spirit working in certain ways. I really think I ought to read the book, though, because it is written on a topic that has been pressing on my mind and heart for some time now.

    I wish I could read it and then sit down over a cup of tea with you and discuss it and air out my perplexities.

    ReplyDelete