Thursday, April 14, 2011

Beautiful Hands

My fingers absolutely burn with an invisible fire. I'm so thankful for that petite, newly potted Aloe Vera plant on my front porch, to whom I may at any time run for quick relief. But mostly, I smile on my faithful, pain-stricken, scarred hands with appreciation because I think their weariness defines me in a way I can't despise.  There is something incredibly beautiful about a pair of hands that have proven their usefulness. I can't help but believe that their experience illuminates their beauty. How sad a pair of hands must be which do nothing! From squeezing citrus for lemonades and marinades, to zesting blocks of parmesan and fruit, to baking clumsily in a 400 degree oven, to chopping and seeding jalepnos and serranos, my hands wear the marks to prove their hard work. And I think it's beautiful. I am so thankful for every opportunity to use my hands in the joy of cooking. God is so good for giving me this art, this ambition, and for having useful hands to work with every day. It may sound simple, but how loving is God to give us hands? He must love us so very much.

 I can tell that my stomach is still quite full from last night's Mexican feast: Guacamole (this time with truly fresh avocados from Mexico, minced garlic, and ripe compari tomatoes), Salsa which may be my best batch ever, pica de gallo made with two serrano peppers, and Micah's incredible marinaded chicken fajitas. Not to mention Micheladas.

I have lined up the youngest sprouts of my herb garden on my kitchen window sill. I had a feeling that sprouts particularly enjoy a kitchen window view, a preference of my own as well. There we have Chives, Cilantro, Sweet Basil, and Thyme. Oh, and not to mention the accidental pot in which I erroneously mixed Basil seeds with Thyme. :/ But they are all growing marvelously. Last night, I stopped cooking long enough to urge Cilantro on as his little leaves arched toward the sky, in the hope that someday I will not have to buy Cilantro from the market.


Love,
Natasha

1 comment:

  1. Ohh you make me hungry!! Okay, fine, I was hungry before, but now I'm *really* hungry. Isn't cooking one of the funnest things in the world? That reminds me... I should update my food blog. Maybe I should link you to it, too.

    http://cookiedoughisrawfood.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/cropped-citrus1.jpg

    <3
    Brittany of xangaland (LaDamedeShallot)

    ReplyDelete