Monday, January 17, 2011

Espresso in the Library

Today: An interesting mix of planning and spontaneity.







Sipping on a new espresso creation: home brewed espresso (Delonghi EC155) with heavy cream, lightly dusted with nutmeg and cocoa. Spontaneous photo shoot with a my incredibly aesthetic espresso cup and plate... a stunning cobalt blue, and one of a pair from Mom. :)  I have named the collection, "Espresso in the Library." My favorite Christmas Bearista even made it in one of the shots.

Listening to my new Duffy c.d. There is something especially luxurious about hearing Duffy saying, quite somberly, "cocktail after cocktail..." Her new album is, in many songs, much more modern compared to her first one. However, it is also quite signature. I prefer the ballads over the more party-like beats. Her reverberating voice is quite timeless. "Hard for the Heart" always makes me feel like putting on a white and blue striped shirt and denim capris, and wandering along some distant coast singing this song.

Only 10 more chapters to go in C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. It is a particularly rich book on theology, and admittedly a challenge for me. However, this is when I am really in need of a girlfriend to have coffee and good discussion with. Perhaps a New Year's Resolution? A coffee and book friend?

A spontaneous game of Rummy with Micah over an excellent meal of Penne with Olives, Capers, and Pine Nuts (practically a dietary staple for us by now), lettuce with Lemon Vinaigrette, and Bay Cheddar biscuits. Made rudimentary plans for Valentine's Day. Perhaps Austin. I would love to revisit The Blue Dahlia.  Very thankful for our Red Lobster gift card from Mr. Wittman.  Already highly anticipating our fourth Valentine's Day together. They have all been so special. I am stoked.

The New Year's Resolutions planning has taken a lot of work. I have given myself to the end of the month to come up with specific plans, goals, expectations, and strategies. Quite exciting. I love expecting much of myself, in that sense. I've decided it is hereditary. Most people make fun of resolutions, saying that no one ever follows through on them. Like Mom, I love planning, renewing, strategizing for the months to come, and this isn't the only time of the year that you'll find me doing this, either.

A romantic evening last night, with our first mutual viewing of One Fine Day. Oven-Baked Arborio with Tomatoes, Cheddar Bay Biscuits, an open bottle of Sauvignon Blanc (Kendall-Jackson, Vitner's Reserve, California 2009),which most certainly did have a "stone-like mineral quality" we greatly appreciated.

Yoga, chamomile (the last bag, I'm afraid), getting lost in Micah's eyes, exchanging the drama of our latest dreams (some romantic, some frightening). Memorizing more scripture. Mostly Ephesians (I'm hooked). Reading in my favorite chair, which has just recently made its arrival to the perfect spot in the living room. The sun poured through the blinds in lateral radiance. The surprising warmth on my skin was most welcoming in mid-January. Praise God.

If you haven't heard Duffy's Endlessly... I hereby commission you to do so immediately, and in full. Warwick Avenue as well, while you are at it.


Still on the menu: Writing this week's article. Cleaning the kitchen. Finishing up resolutions and plans. Lime Chicken Fajitas and Guacamole. Oh, and the highly anticipated Banana Walnut Loaf. It has been far too long.

Love,
Natasha W.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to compliment myself and say, " You are so much like your Mother", but, no. Maybe you inherited a few fine qualities, but developing them into something, someone, so adorable...that's all Natasha. I miss you so much, but feel you are very close. Nothing, even 500 miles, and no one, and I mean NO ONE, can come between us! Love ya. Mom

    ReplyDelete